(Courtesy of Piet Willem Tanja)
During Friday lunch, Malgosia Fiebig, city carilloneur of Utrecht, will play the Dom tower Carillon from 1230 to 1330. She will play the following compositions:
1. Blue Baroque – A different view on Baroque Classics (arr. M.Cornick)
2. Comedy songs from Broadway Musicals:
– “Brush up your Shakespeare” (Kiss me Kate) – C.Porter
– “Civilization” (Angel in the Wings) – B.Hilliard/C.Sigman
– “Le Grand Boom Boom” (Little Me) – C.Coleman
– “To keep my Love Alive” (A Connecticut Yankee) – R.Rodgers
3 & 4 Two original carillon compositions:
3. A“Mozart meets Mendelssohn” from Encounters – Geert D’hollander (*1965)
4. Carnival Suite – Frank DellaPenna (*1951)
– Sleepy Head
5. Theme songs from TV series:
– “’Allo ‘Allo” – D.Croft
– “Fawlty Towers” – D.Wilson
– “Thank You For Being a Friend” (The Golden Girls) – A.Gold
– “The Muppet Show Theme” – J.Henson/S.Pottle
The compositons are best heard from the cloister garden (Pandhof). Enjoy!
In this year’s fifth issue of the Israeli Journal of Humor Research a number of interesting studies are welcomed. Subjects are Catalan political humor, Goffman’s sociology as a tool to understand humor and the history of philosophy on humor and laughter. Read more.
Anne Boertien and Mirte Bosch from the student union for social scientists Alcmaeon designed a shopping tour around the conference venues. Many small and special shops are included in the tour. Read more: Alcmaeon shoppingtour (pdf).
There is a large variety of restaurants offering cheap and expensive foods from many countries. Giselinde Kuipers is well informed in these matters and she composed a personal Utrecht Eating Out Guide. Read more. Eating in Utrecht Giselinde.
We welcome all nationalities to our conference! Looking at the continents all of the 133 participants are originating from, most come from Europe (54 %). Second is North and South America (21 %), third the Far East (15 %). The top 10 of countries is:
We are also happy to welcome five people from Africa, a continent that we do not see so much at our annual conferences. Countries like Ghana, Gambia, Uganda, Nigeria and South Africa definitely stimulate our (football) imagination. Looking forward to meeting all of you.
From Saturday July 5th, 5 pm until Saturday July 12th, 5 pm there will be a special cell phone number for all your urgent questions regarding the conference. It is available for calling, texting or Whatsapp use. Although we expect you to plan your journeys carefully yourself, this phone number is also available if you get stuck during your travels, or want directions when you got lost. Please consider the existence of time zones ;.) The phone number is +31 627127765.